Pages

Pork Roast Slow Simmered Sauerkraut and Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

Monday, May 12, 2014

As usual, I went to Nans last night because, if its Sunday, its dinner at Nans.  I have to say that last night was one of the best meals Nan has fixed in a long time.  I really wanted to go back in for seconds, but I restrained myself and stepped away from the table after this one perfect plateful of deliciousness.  Pork and sauerkraut is such a great combination made only better with the addition of the rich buttermilk mashed potatoes and the sweet applesauce rounded off all these complimentary flavors perfectly.  I great menu for any family gathering!

The pork roast was sizeable and large enough to feed 5 adults with little bit left over.  It was roasted to perfection in the oven at 375 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until an instant thermometer reads about 160 degrees. We let it rest for about 30 minutes before carving.

The sauerkraut we used this time was Franks in a bag.  I thought it was the perfect degree of sourness but Nan thought it was little too sweet for her, which is odd, because my sister and I always like it way more sour than she does.  Go figure.  We seasoned the sauerkraut wth a small rack of St. Louis ribs, maybe 5 or 6 ribs total.  Brown them off in dutch oven which has been preheated with few tablespoons of oil.  When the ribs are browned, about 5 minutes on each side, add the package of sauerkraut and one beer or to about the top of the sauerkraut.  Lid on and simmer for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, adding more liquid if necessary.  (I know it may sound weird, but you should really try this sauerkraut with your Turkey at Thanksgiving.  It was traditional, where I grew up in Baltimore, MD, to serve sauerkraut anytime a turkey or chicken was on the menu and now I can not imagine a holiday without it!!)

Buttermilk mashed potatoes are made the same as any standard recipe except that you substitute some buttermilk for the a portion of milk or cream you ordinarily add.  If you you heat the milk/cream and butter together before adding to the potatoes, be sure not to heat the buttermilk as it may curdle.  Simply add the buttermilk right from the carton to the potatoes.  I would estimate that half milk/cream and half buttermilk is a good ratio.  The addition of the buttermilk makes the potatoes very velvety and smooth and imparts a delicious tangy flavor. 

The applesauce was delicious too!  Nan did not make that though, I think she said it was Lucky Leaf brand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment