Pages

Chettinad Special Side Dish Dangar special side dish for vellai paniyaram

Saturday, March 15, 2014


All the people who have had breakfast in a chettiar marriage would have tasted this special side dish served along with vellai paniyaram.Mostly ladies will be able to make out what it is and almost how it is cooked. But this dish has always remained suspense. Many of my readers have been asking for this recipe and I was asking many about this and got different versions. Now I have managed to find out the original recipe (I believe so) tried it and blogging it for my readers. It is said to last long even without refrigeration. It goes well with dosai and idly too. As I was not sure whether the dish will turn good, I didn’t take the snap of the ingredients. It tasted fine in my first trial itself. I will insert that snap of the quantities used when I do it next time

Ingredients
Small onion-2 cups or big onion-4
Tomato-4(medium sized)
Garlic-10 pods
Red chillies-12
Tamarind-little ( 1 teaspoon tamarind extract)
Jaggery-1 table spoon (Jaggery is not there in the original recipe but I find this increasing the taste of the dish enormously)
For seasoning
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
Urudh dhal-1 teaspoon
Curry leaf-little
Oil-2 table spoons

Procedure
Chop the onions and garlic in a chopper or mince it nicely.
Mince tomatoes also
Dry roast the chilies and remove the seeds
Rotate the chilies once in a mixie(The cooks just crush it using hands)
Soak the tamarind in little water and take the juice.
Keep the kadai in the stove
Season with the items given in’ To season’
Put the Crushed red chilies into the oil
Add the onion and garlic chopped along with a pinch of salt and sauté till the onions turn transparent.
Now add the Tomatoes minced and cook for 5 minutes
Add the tamarind juice and required salt and cook in low fire till the whole thing turns thick.
If you like the sweet taste add the jaggery.
If you cook till the oil separates it will not get spoiled fast

No comments:

Post a Comment